Pilbara and Shark Bay image resources
Here are image resources, which you can click on to display. You may also consult the images list for other images, which show their related articles when you click on the description (brackets on the left of the image). The images - and any others on this wiki site - are intended for open use with no copyright for education and research.
- A conical stromatolite collected by Australian Centre for Astrobiology PhD student Abby Allwood and taken into space on behalf of the Centre by Australian astronaut Dr Andy Thomas on the Space Shuttle Discovery in the Return to Flight mission of July 2005.
- Mickey Mouse Ears, a structure on the side of a conical stromatolite at the Trendall Locality - the name of the structure named after the Disney character because of the likeness.
- A mineral map of the Shaw River, the Trendall Locality and North Shaw.
- A geological map of the Shaw River, the Trendall Locality and North Shaw, the cyan strike across the river marking the stromatolite rich ridge on both sides.
- Marble Bar Chert, a very fine grained sedimentary rock laid down near Marble Bar 3.4 billion years ago. Prof Roger Summons of MIT takes a rest on the chert during a hot day in the Pilbara in 2005.
- Pillow basalts showing ocelli.
- Simplified geological map of the Apex chert “microfossil” locality (Modified from Brasier et al., 2002: Nature, v. 416, p. 76-81).
Media quality images - Please credit Macquarie University
North Shaw view 1
North Shaw view 2
North Shaw view 3
North Shaw view 4
North Shaw view 5
North Shaw view 6
North Shaw view 7
North Shaw view 8
North Shaw view 9
The following 8 images should be credited to Abby Allwood
Cuspate swale side view
Abby in the Pilbara
Looking down on elliptical cones
Stromatolites at dawn
Cuspate swale along bedding plane
An example of a Pilbara stromatolite
Swales in pictures and diagram
Shark Bay images
Submerged microbial mat
Submerged stromatolites and mats
Submerged smooth mat
Exposed ripple marks
Pustular microbial mat
Smooth mats between stromatolites
Red capped stromatolites
Red and black capped stromatolites
Brown capped stromatolites
White capped stromatolites
Mushroom shaped stromatolites
Dome shaped stromatolite
Large dome shaped stromatolites
Multi shaped stromatolites
Irregular shaped stromatolites